College application deadlines are quickly approaching. It may feel like there are so many moving parts and we hope this post is helpful in figuring out what needs to be done so students have completed applications at all schools.
STUDENT / FAMILY CHECKLIST:
GET THE LITTLE THINGS DONE:
- Keep list of colleges up-to-date in Naviance.
- Initially, under Colleges I’m Thinking About
- Eventually, move to Colleges I’m Apply To
- Sign up for College Rep Visits in Naviance
- Update resume in Naviance
- Submit completed Parent/Guardian Brag Sheet to Guidance. This helps to ensure counselors share some of the things you think are most important about your child.
- Complete and submit applications (using the Common Application, school specific application, Coalition Application.)
- Some applications have supplements. Please be sure to check requirements carefully and create a timeline for completion.
- If you need financial assistance, please see your counselor to find out if you are eligible for application fee waivers.
- Link Common Application and Naviance by completing FERPA in the Common App. Transcripts, Counselor Letters and Teacher Letters to Common App Schools will be processed only after FERPA is complete. Please do not leave this until the last minute.
STANDARDIZED TESTS – SAT / SAT SUBJECT TEST / ACT
- Request SAT/SAT Subject Test/ACT results be sent to colleges, if required.
- Sign in to your College Board Account to have your SAT/SAT Subject Test results sent. You can choose specific test dates for SAT and specific tests for Subject Tests.
- Sign in to your ACT Student Account to have your ACT results sent, if required. You can choose to send specific test dates for ACT.
- You do NOT need to send both SAT and ACT. They are competing companies that provide similar data to colleges. If you are unsure about which test results to send, check the Concordance Table and/or speak with your counselor.
TRANSCRIPTS / COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION
- Request a transcript and possibly a recommendation from Guidance, if required.
- Submit a completed, signed Transcript Request Form to Guidance. Parent/Guardian needs to sign if child is under 18.
- We ask for 15 school days notice to process these forms – one per college, scholarship or organization.
- You may request the following using the Transcript Request Form: transcript, report card, class standing information, counselor recommendation, IEP/504/Testing.
- Cost: $5/request.
- Ask a teacher (in person is the way to go on this) for a recommendation to support your application, if required. We suggest at least 15 school days notice when requesting letters of recommendations from teachers. Follow up with teacher with application deadlines. You can do this in Naviance after teacher has agreed to write for you.)
- Complete financial aid applications.
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is required by all (nonprofit – most colleges in the US) 2 year and 4 year schools. Open October 1.
- CSS/Profile is required by some private colleges, in addition to the FAFSA
- Institutional Form may be required by some private colleges, in addition to FAFSA. Check college website.
STUDENT-ATHLETES – NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE
- Student-athletes interested in Division I and Division II institutions need to be deemed eligible to participate in collegiate athletics by the NCAA. Visit NCAA Eligibility Center for more information.
CHECK ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE
- Check with each college, using username and password they provide to you, to make sure they have received all parts of your application.
COUNSELOR RESPONSIBILITIES – SUBMITTING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- Receive Transcript Release Form and process transcripts, counselor recommendations, testing. We will use Resume and Parent-Brag to support writing of recommendation.
- Most supporting documents are submitted through Naviance. FERPA needs to be complete in Common App and linked to Naviance in order for materials to be submitted to Common App schools. (We go over this in Guidance Seminars.)
TEACHER RESPONSIBILITIES – SUBMITTING LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- Some teachers ask students for additional paperwork prior to writing recommendation.
- Most teachers submit recommendation through Naviance. FERPA needs to be complete in the Common App and linked to Naviance in order for teachers to submit recommendations to Common App schools.